As the proud parent of two South Milwaukee School District students, I’m not surprised to hear this news …
The district has become the first in southeastern Wisconsin to earn school system accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Committee. From the press release …
This distinction by the most rigorous accreditation organization in the United States means that the School District of South Milwaukee and all of its schools meet international standards of quality and demonstrate a commitment to excellence.
The accreditation process involves three ongoing components: 1) meeting high quality standards; 2) implementing a continuous process of improvement; and 3) engaging in quality assurance through internal and external review. The system’s accreditation is for a five-year term with regular monitoring of progress and reporting occurring during the term.
Congratulations to the district and the administrators, teachers, staff and students who worked (and work) every day to help make this happen.
We have lots to be proud of in South Milwaukee, nothing more so than our schools.
Update: South Milwaukee 55, Milwaukee Marshall 24. That’s your final score.
New coach, same high expectations.
There may be big things in store for the South Milwaukee football team this season, with Derek Hoff taking over the reins after the Rockets finished 8-3 with a Woodland Conference East championship in 2013.
The season gets underway tonight with Milwaukee Marshall visiting Spaltholz Field. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
- From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Woodland East preview: “South Milwaukee is loaded with experience and has a two-time all-conference quarterback in (Justin) Oliden, making the Rockets the favorite with first-year coach Derek Hoff.”
- On senior running back/linebacker, Ian Pribyl: “The 6-2, 225-pound standout teams up with quarterback Justin Oliden to give the Rockets an explosive backfield. He was a two-way all-Woodland East first-team pick last season and is drawing Division I interest.”
- And from the Merrill Foto News (Hoff is from Merrill), which has a feature on the new coach: “My plans for this current team are to win conference and make a run at a state title. My plans for the program include winning multiple state titles and being a perennial powerhouse in the state.”
In other words, this should be a fun year. Learn more on the team website.
Go Rockets! See you tonight!
I hope to see you at my next Meet the Mayor session this Saturday, August 23, at Moxie Fitness.
I’ll be there from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., with no topic off limits.
Thanks to Tori and everyone at Moxie, 1234 Milwaukee Ave., for welcoming me.
And mark your calendar for my September event. Join me and a couple special guests — South Milwaukee School Superintendent Rita Olson and School Board President Pat Bordak — from 4 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 25, at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market.
That’s how much South Milwaukee Police Capt. Kallay, Lt. Fischer and Officer Hesse raised as part of the Dunkin’ Donuts cop on a rooftop activity last week.
The dollars go to the law enforcement Torch Run, which raises money for Special Olympics.
It was the department’s first year doing this — and it was the fifth-most funds raised among 14 participating departments in the area.
Congratulations, and thanks to everyone who donated. South Milwaukee steps up once again.
From the South Milwaukee Downtown Market Facebook page …
Today’s farmers’ market and the Guardian Credit Union Movie in the Market this evening are cancelled due to storms. Sorry for any inconvenience, but we’ll see you next week. And stay tuned for more details on a makeup date for the movie.
Please help spread the word, and I’ll keep you posted.
Sorry, “Frozen” fans.
Join us for the second Guardian Movie in the Market this Thursday at the South Milwaukee Downtown Market.
This week it’s “Frozen.”
Showtime is around 8 p.m., and Guardian is offering free popcorn.
Thanks to Guardian for their sponsorship of this terrific community event!
Check out photos from last week’s movie — including the terrific shot above — on the Guardian Facebook page.
Rounding up some local news and headlines from around South Milwaukee …
- Sts. Peter and Paul National Polish Catholic Church is celebrating 100 years this year. Happy anniversary! Learn more about the anniversary and its Sept. 7 open house here.
- South Milwaukee children’s book author Janet Halfmann has published her 40th book, “Animal Teachers.” Congratulations, Janet! Learn more here.
- The Friends of Grant Park are holding an electronic and aluminum recycling drive from 9 a.m. to noon this Saturday at City Hall. Learn more here.
- The Health Fair is returning to the South Milwaukee Downtown Market on Thursday, Sept. 4. Learn more here.