A couple of good options here … including an announcement regarding one popular downtown store.
I Can’t Resist Kids Resale is adding “store within a store” in January — B’s Boutique. The boutique will have unique new items like jewelry, purses, home decor and fun items for the kids at a reasonable price.
The kids’ resale shop will remain, also at 915 Milwaukee. To celebrate the change (and make way for the boutique), Becky is having a clearance sale, where all clothes are 95 cents through 7 p.m. on Tuesday. Stop by and check it out.
And check out their website and Facebook page.
Also, don’t forget Memory Lane Antiques across the street. Lots of cool items there, too.
Shop local this holiday season … and shop downtown!
Horror for Christmas? Why not?
After all, South Milwaukee is home to Graveyard Records & Movie Maniacs, the self-professed largest horror collectibles store in the Midwest.
It’s a really cool shop at 1013 Milwaukee Ave., a great destination business for our city center. And while it’s not for everyone, there is absolutely nothing else like it around this area. You can’t get this stuff at Walmart :)
Check out the store’s website here, and see for yourself. Tell Dave I said hi.
Why not give the gift of good health this holiday season?
There are a lot of local options. Moxie Fitness, RockIt Fitness, the South Milwaukee Fitness Center, Planet Fitness (now open). Then there is Sorce Martial Arts, Dowling Community Acupuncture, Drenzek Chiropractic … the list goes on.
And options in Cudahy like the South Shore YMCA, Anytime Fitness and more.
Take advantage of these resources, perhaps with a gift certificate or the gift of a fitness class.
Shop — and work out — local!
The South Milwaukee City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday night to deny the rezoning request by Gorman & Co. to convert the former St. Adalbert’s campus into 31 apartments.
I support the vote for reasons I outlined previously.
Check out coverage from TMJ4 and Fox 6.
I work for MillerCoors, so I need to get a shoutout in for our local liquor stores this holiday season …
Here is a list …
- King’s Row, 1202 Milwaukee Ave.
- Chicago Avenue Liquor, 309 N. Chicago Ave.
- Marquette Liquor, 1123 Marquette Ave.
- G&K Liquor, 1508 Rawson Ave.
- B J Liquor Store, 2411 5th Ave.
And here are a few recommendations …
- Coors Light and Miller Lite. You can’t go wrong with the country’s best light lagers. Coors Light is all about refreshment as Cold as the Rockies, and Miller Lite is the light beer that started it all — and now it’s in its cool original white packaging.
- Redd’s Apple or Strawberry Ale, or Redd’s Wicked Apple. Three of our great-tasting innovations – worth a try if you haven’t tasted them already.
- Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. This winter seasonal is really, really good.
- Crispin cider. Our craft cider company has a number of terrific fresh-pressed apple and pear varieties. Try mixing it with Leinenkugel’s Cranberry Ginger Shandy or Blue Moon Belgian White.
Here’s a chance to get fit during the holidays … and help out Human Concerns.
The Stuff the Sleigh 5K is set for 10 a.m. on Saturday at Wil-o-Way Grant Park. The run/walk, which benefits Human Concerns, includes a route that takes it through the park.
Learn more here … and don’t forget to like the Mayors’ Fitness Challenge Facebook page for more information on all Challenge events. There is still more than a month left!
More details from the organizers …
SUPPORT SOUTH MILWAUKEE HUMAN CONCERNS
During the holiday season we always like to help those locally around us. You can do your part in a number of ways……
1) Come RUN / WALK the South Milwaukee Stuff The Sleigh 5K on Saturday 12/20 10:00am in our very own Grant Park. — Sign up online at www.stuffthesleigh5k.org — Walk / Run starts at Wil-o-Way Grant Park 207 Lake Drive South Miwaukee, WI 53132 — Sign up right away so you get a shirt!! — Bring 2 non-perishable food items and you will be entered into the drawing at the end of the walk/race. The more you bring the more entries you get !!
2) Bring non-perishable food items and put them in the bin in the front at City Hall 3) Volunteer to help with the walk / run. — You can do this by signing up under volunteer tab on the website www.stuffthesleigh5k.org — You can call Lisa Van Netzel at 414-531-4163 — You can email: email@example.com
South Milwaukee is home to two very cool downtown game stores … about two blocks from each other.
Why not stop at both and get some local holiday shopping done?
- Pink Bunny Games, 1204 Minnesota Ave., specializes in Magic: The Gathering events and items, but it also offers Yu-Gi-Oh and board gaming events. It also does a brisk online business; learn more here.
- Board Game Barrister continues to ramp up toward a formal opening at 1007 Milwaukee Ave. and offers games, toys, puzzles and more. It now has hours Monday through Saturday. Welcome to South Milwaukee!
Please support both of these unique destination businesses — two we should be proud to have in our fair city.