Thankfully, no one was hurt, and damage doesn’t appear too major from the early-morning apartment fire Sunday at 1231 Milwaukee Avenue.
Here are details from Acting South Milwaukee Fire Chief Joe Knitter …
At 2:12 this morning, SMFD crews responded to a 9-1-1 call from a tenant at 1231 Milwaukee Avenue reporting the smell of smoke in his apartment on the second floor at that address. Crews arrived on the scene and found smoke issuing from the attic area and eaves of the building. Lt. Boschke upgraded the response to include our mutual aid neighbors due to the size of the building and number of apartments (10). Crews accessed the attic via an exterior panel and found an area approximately 8’ in diameter burning away at the ceiling joists, wood ceiling lath and blown-in insulation. SMPD personnel knocked on doors and evacuated residents as SMFD crews worked to extinguish the fire. Damage to the ceiling area above the bedroom of this apartment was extensive with the ceiling joists being totally consumed and the lath-and-plaster weakening to the point of collapsing into the apartment. This apartment was the only one affected by the fire and the tenant was assisted by SMFD in finding alternate living arrangements since crews turned off power to the entire apartment and damage prevented him from staying there. The area of the fire origin was at the ceiling level concentrated around an electrical light fixture. Closer examination by an electrical expert will be necessary to determine if the electrical system was involved in the cause of the fire. No injuries were reported by tenants or fire/police personnel. Damage is estimated to be $15,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents.
I’ll keep you posted if I learn more.