A few news and notes from recent South Milwaukee City Council meetings …
- The council approved the awarding of a $328,878.75 contract to Earth X for reconstruction of 12th Avenue from Milwaukee to Minnesota Avenues. If you’ve been to Salvatore’s recently, you know this stretch of road badly needs the work.
- The council approved the sale of the Walgreen parcel at Grant Park Plaza to Cole REIT Advisors IV. Originally, this parcel was to be sold to another real estate investment firm, but that deal fell through. You will also recall that the Pick ‘n Save parcel was sold to Cole REIT Advisors III this year.
- The council approved the granting of liquor licenses to the agents of a few new bars, including Mike’s Bar, 1902 17th Ave., the home most recently to Big Daddy’s Rockin’ Steakhouse. Other licenses were granted to an agent for the property at 1220 Milwaukee Ave., formerly DC Connection, and 1337 Michigan Ave., formerly Drew’s Spot. I’ll keep you posted if I learn more about these new businesses.
- The council approved increasing fees for mowing the lawn of delinquent properties to $175 per hour, up from $100. This brings us more in line with other area communities — and hopefully acts as a better deterrent to property owners who are letting their lawns get unsightly. (And that’s dozens of property owners, too many.) Know of a property in violation, with unmowed grass higher than six inches? Call the Street Department at 768-8075 and log a complaint.
- We also approved a conditional use permit for operation of a child care and early education center at South Milwaukee United Methodist Church, 1327 Marshall Ave.
- No council meeting will be held this Tuesday. The next one is July 16.