At approximately 6:36PM this evening, SMFD rec’d a 9-1-1 call for a house fire at 701 Marshall Avenue. Upon arrival of SMFD units, smoke was observed coming from the second floor windows. The sole male occupant of the single-family residence had self-evacuated prior to our arrival. Crews entered the building and discovered a fire burning in a bathroom on the second floor. The entire second floor, with the exception of two bedrooms to which the doors were closed, suffered extensive smoke damage. The bathroom suffered damage from the fire, as well as damage from the water used to extinguish the fire. The first floor suffered moderate smoke and water damage. Due to the damage, the occupant was told he could not stay in the house this evening and was offered assistance from the American Red Cross, which he refused stating he had family he could rely on.
The fire was contained to the second floor bathroom. The probable cause of the fire is careless use of smoking materials based on statements made by the male occupant. No injuries were reported.
Thanks to our firefighters for their continued service, keeping us safe from harm.
(And thanks to Working Still Photos for the images.)