Update: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has more information on wastewater diversions and local road closures.
The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for Oak Creek in South Milwaukee.
Here is the bulletin. From it:
AT 8:10 AM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 8.0 FEET.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 8.0 FEET.
* FORECASTS ARE NOT ISSUED FOR THIS LOCATION. THIS WARNING WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL THE RIVER FALLS BELOW FLOOD STAGE.
* IMPACT…AT 8.0 FEET…THE MAIN EFFECTS OF FLOODING AT THIS LEVEL ARE TO LOWLAND AND WOODED LAND.
What are you seeing? Post your comments below!
Here is information from the National Weather Service — perhaps three more inches of rain this week, or more.
These better be some pretty nice May flowers …
Update: We hit the four-inch mark as of 7 a.m. Thursday, the Wastewater Treatment Facility reports …
A few updates on local flooding concerns …
- The South Milwaukee Wastewater Treatment Facility reports the city had 3.23 inches of rain from Monday morning through about 1:30 on Tuesday. And there’s more coming overnight and Wednesday.
- While Oak Creek was receding today — not sure what the added rain will do overnight, however — areas of concern continue to be Oak Creek Parkway near the high school railroad trestle and the Mill Pond.
- The high school baseball field is flooded.
- The city had also received a couple calls about water in basements … and a report of a basement wall collapse.
I also asked wastewater for an update on its operations, and thanks to Superintendent Andy Bakalarski for providing this …
The South Milwaukee Wastewater Treatment Facility has pumps deployed at the known trouble spots in the city, but at this time, there has not been a need to divert any of the wastewater in the system. At the treatment facility, the upgrade project has caused us to route the flows around the construction areas, but we are treating the wastewater to the best of our ability, while protecting the facility and the areas under construction.
Good news, for now.
The flood warning issued for Oak Creek in South Milwaukee has been cancelled.
Check out the National Weather Service bulletin here.
I hope things remain OK the next two days, with more rain in the forecast. Mitchell International reported more than 1.7 inches on Tuesday alone, according to WISN.
This was the view of Oak Creek, looking north from Rawson Avenue, around 6:15 p.m. I’m a bit concerned what this will look like with another couple inches of rain …
Update: Here is the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel story.
Here is the warning from the National Weather Service.
The key detail: The creek is expected to rise above flood stage of eight feet by 4 p.m. today. It stood at 7.4 feet as of 2:15 today.
And more rain is on the way …
I’ll keep you posted. And, of course, I’d like to know what you’re seeing. Post your comments below.