Updated at 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 12.
News and notes from our latest winter storm …
- Local schools are closed today. The South Milwaukee School District made the call around 5:45 a.m.
- The district posted on their Feacbeook page that all after school events are cancelled today. This includes games, practices, events, recreation department activities and the superintendent feedback meeting. The feedback meeting has been rescheduled for Feb. 20.
- The high school girls’ basketball game — a key intradivision crossover game in the Woodland — between South Milwaukee and New Berlin Eisenhower has been moved to Thursday at Eisenhower.
- The Grobschmidt Senior Center is also closed due to the weather. So is our Self-Deposit Station. Otherwise, City Hall is open.
- The South Milwaukee Library is open regular hours, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Garbage and recycling are being picked today, as usual. Commercial garbage pickup has been rescheduled for Thursday.
- Plows have been out since around 2 a.m., including alley plows.
- The Friends of the Mill Pond have cancelled their meeting scheduled for this evening.
I also want to share a couple of messages I received from local residents today … well done, guys!
First, there was this one about the actions of one of our plow crews this morning around 6th and Sherman …
“Mayor Brooks: Just wanted to give a shout out to a couple of snowplow drivers who just pushed a woman’s car out of a snowdrift. The car was on the side of the road that had already been plowed, so it wasn’t stopping them from doing their job. South Milwaukee spirit at its best!”
And then this one came in … a call from a resident thanking our guys for helping him get up from the snow, after he had fallen, early this morning. They also helped get his daughter’s car unstuck. Well done!
And another one! Just got this for the 4:30 update, our plow drivers stepping up again, this time near 7th and Lakeview this afternoon …