Taking a holiday tour around South Milwaukee …
- New in 2020: Thank a veteran at the War Memorial. The Christmas tree is up and decorated at the South Milwaukee Veterans Memorial, thanks to the Street Department and the work of several volunteers from the Beautification Committee. Now let’s use it to celebrate our military this Christmas! To recognize a veteran or someone in active service, please stop by the tree between through December 25 and write the name of a local military member and his or her service branch on one of the red, white and blue ornaments. (Bring your own Sharpie, or similar marker. ) Or hang your own ornament from the tree. Please consider joining us in this special tribute, as we thank everyone who has stepped up to serve.
- Be part of the Festival of Trees. There are still a few trees available as part of the Festival of Trees at the farmers’ market site. Do you want to decorate one, individually or as a team, group, organization, etc.? Email Karin Wierman at Caterpillar at Wierman_Karin_A@cat.com. Trees, donated by Ace, are open for decoration by Dec. 15, and will be on display December 16 to January 1, weather permitting.
- Nominate a light display. Get your nominations in for the Beautification Committee’s Light up South Milwaukee holiday lights awards. Submit your favorites here, via the pinned post on the city’s Facebook page, or by emailing Katie Crosby at email@example.com, including photos. Deadline: Noon on December 14. I see lots of candidates around town. Make sure to nominate them!
- Enjoy Lights on Edgewood. The Gray family has brought this terrific local light show back in 2020, at 13th and Edgewood. Shows start at 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday evenings through December 31. Details here.
- Have Breakfast with Santa. Starting at 8:30 a.m. this Sunday, Dec. 6. From Pat’s Oak Manor: “Breakfast buffet and a free ‘SAFE’ picture with SANTA. Children receive stocking. Adults $10. Kids $7 (4-10); 3 & younger $4. Call ahead , reservations only 762-4660.”
Did I miss something? Please send me information! Brooks@smwi.org.