Yes, the city’s July 4th celebration is cancelled this year, as are a couple other larger local events. One or two are still in flux. But it’s clear … there are plenty of special events in South Milwaukee this summer.
It started with several events in May, including the launch of the 2021 Suburban Soles Guided Nature Walks, the South Milwaukee Little League Parade, opening night of the European Beer Gardens and the Memorial Day ceremony.
Of course, the lineup includes the weekly South Milwaukee Downtown Market (which kicks off this Thursday, June 3, and runs every Thursday through October 7) and European Beer Gardens (every Thursday, Friday and Saturday through October 9) — which, combined, offer more than 30 live music opportunities in the heart of our city.
Flag Day, the South Milwaukee Garden Tour, the Grant Park Traveling Beer Garden — they are all back in June, too. And there is all that’s happening at Grant Park Beach this summer …
Here is a rundown for June — and if I missed something, please let me know).
- Thursday, June 3: Market Opening Day (Music at the Market: Prof Pinkerton’s Irreverent Quartet) and European Beer Gardens
- Friday, June 4: European Beer Gardens (music: Michael John Acoustic)
- Saturday, June 5: European Beer Gardens (music: Roxie Beane Music)
- Thursday, June 10: Music at the Market (Bluegrass All Stars) and European Beer Gardens
- Friday, June 11: European Beer Gardens (music: Landline)
- Saturday, June 12: European Beer Gardens (music: Leah Jee)
- Sunday, June 13: Suburban Soles: “An Ode to Odonates”
- Monday, June 14: South Flag Day ceremony, 6 p.m. at City Hall
- Thursday, June 17: South Milwaukee Medieval Market (Music at the Market: Sweet Sheiks) and European Beer Gardens
- Friday, June 18: European Beer Gardens (music: Pivari)
- Saturday, June 19: South Milwaukee Garden Tour and European Beer Gardens (music: Ania Dankow Music and The Nightinjails)
- Wednesday, June 23: Milwaukee County Traveling Beer Garden opens at Grant Park and runs through Monday, July 5 — every evening from 4 to 9 p.m. at Picnic Area 5.
- Thursday, June 24: Music at the Market (Blues Addiction) and European Beer Gardens
- Friday, June 25: European Beer Gardens (music: Ricky Orta Jr.)
- Saturday, June 26: European Beer Gardens (music: Clove)
- Sunday, June 27: Suburban Soles: “Bloom Where You Are Planted”
I’ll post more on July events soon, but mark your calendars for Saturday, July 24. The Heritage Days Parade is back!