Fire Damages Lake Drive Home In South Milwaukee

1212 Lake Drive - Exterior (1)Update: Check out coverage from WISN

Thankfully, no one was hurt in the fire Friday night 1212 Lake Drive in South Milwaukee.

South Milwaukee Fire Chief Joe Knitter has more details …

At approximately 11:31 PM Friday evening, South Milwaukee Police Dispatch received a 9-1-1 call from the occupant of 1212 Lake Drive reporting a possible fire in the walls of her upstairs bathroom.  The occupant and her Grandson self-evacuated from the residence prior to arrival of SMFD.  Upon arrival of SMFD crews, heavy smoke was issuing from the front door of the dwelling so the level of alarm was immediately upgraded to a Working Still (equivalent to a first alarm assignment) and mutual aid companies from our neighboring communities responded with the exception of the St. Francis Fire Department who was not available due to a simultaneous call in their community.

Since reports were that all occupants of the structure had evacuated, crews deployed hoselines to the second floor and discovered fire burning through the wall and ceiling area of the bathroom.  A primary search of the building was conducted by the first arriving mutual aid company.  Upon attacking the fire and pulling more lath and plaster to check for fire extension, it was discovered that the fire had progressed considerably, to the extent that it had completely burned through several ceiling joists and wall studs.  Extensive overhaul was necessary and crews were rotated through to expose all areas of possible fire extension.  The fire was declared under control at approximately 12:14 AM.  The last apparatus cleared the scene at 2:23 AM.

Our Fire Investigator is currently on the scene attempting to determine the origin and cause of the fire.  Dollar loss is not available at this time, but damage was extensive to the second floor.  A great effort was put forth to cover furniture and other valuables on the first floor with plastic tarps to limit the amount of water damage.

During the fire, an Oak Creek Fire Department Paramedic Unit had to cover a call for chest pain at Southtowne Village Apartments since there were no SMFD personnel available.

Leave a comment

Filed under Fire

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s