Our city shines on days like this … I hope to see you at one or all of these events!
- 4 p.m. Keg tapping at the Milwaukee County Traveling Beer Garden, Grant Park Area 5.
- 6 p.m. Flag Day ceremony at South Milwaukee City Hall. More details here.
- Dusk. Guardian Credit Union Movies on the Beach, “Sing.” Grant Park Beach.
More details on the beer garden and movies here.
Check out these South Shore headlines …
Also, NOW has published new police blotters here and here.
The South Milwaukee Police and Fire Departments have filed their 2016 annual reports. The city council accepted both last Tuesday.
- Here is the Police Department report.
- Here is the Fire Department report.
There is obviously lots of information in both of these, and I encourage you to read at least the chiefs’ letters. Both provide an excellent summary of what their departments are doing to make a difference in our community every day.
I summarize both this way: Both departments continue to deliver excellent service, even as demands increase and budgets are increasingly challenged.
I thank them for what they do to keep South Milwaukee safe. I never take it for granted.
To our firefighters and police officers: We’ve got your back!
My Storage Home will soon be calling South Milwaukee home.
The self-storage company is planning to open its ninth location — its first in Milwaukee County — in South Milwaukee later this year. It will replace LTL Service at 1005 Columbia Ave., giving a much-needed facelift to this property.
The South Milwaukee City Council approved the conditional use permit for the development on Tuesday.
The project will be built in two phases:
- Phase one will include renovation of the existing primary building on the property to include approximately 100 indoor storage units, with work beginning as early as this month. Construction of six outdoor buildings housing another 150 units is expected to begin later this summer.
- Phase two will calls for construction of five new buildings on the west end of the property; until that phase is built, that portion of the site will have outdoor vehicle parking.
Please join me in welcoming My Storage Home to South Milwaukee. It’s exciting to see another business invest in our city, on a site in sore need of an upgrade.
Learn more about My Storage Home here: www.MyStorageHome.com
This won’t be your typical South Milwaukee Wednesday, not with the keg tapping of the Milwaukee County Traveling Beer Garden and the first of three Guardian Credit Union outdoor movies at the beach at Grant Park.
With activities like these, Grant Park has an energy I have not seen in my 15 years in this city, and I bet for many years prior to that. It’s great to see.
Let’s tell the world, and support these events!
The next one is Thursday, June 15.
Thanks to First Congregational Church for organizing this. All are welcome!
From the South Milwaukee Police Department …
On Tuesday, June 6th, 2017, at approximately 0230 hours, SMPD responded to a 911 call from the victim of a vehicle vs. pedestrian accident at the intersection of 5th and Columbia Avenues.
The victim, a 35 year old South Milwaukee resident, was injured and transported to Froedert Hospital by SMFD for treatment of injuries, which are not believed to be life threatening at this time.
This incident is currently under investigation. The suspect vehicle is described as a dark in color, Chevy Cavalier-type car. The vehicle should have damage to the front hood of the car and windshield area. The public is encouraged to report any possible vehicles matching this description to the South Milwaukee Police Department.