There was a small house fire Saturday evening at 625 Sherman Ave. in South Milwaukee.
No one was hurt, and the excessive heat made it a difficult one to fight. It also provides a good reminder about overloading electrical outlets.
Here is the report from Acting South Milwaukee Fire Chief Joe Knitter …
The original call came in from the occupancy reporting a smell of smoke in a second floor bedroom of the two-story dwelling. Arriving personnel encountered an odor and light smoke on the second floor and after a intensive search, discovered wood framing members, cellulose insulation and a plastic (PVC) plumbing vent stack burning in a roof area above a rear addition to the dwelling. Due to a lack of access to the area, the roof had to be opened up to expose the fire and complete extinguishment and overhaul. Due to the excessive heat of the day, additional SMFD personnel were sent to the scene to assist in the overhaul process. In true SMFD fashion, crews cleaned up the debris in the house and yard and returned as much of the yard to normal to assist the family with their plans for a yard party tomorrow. The cause of the fire was attributed to overheated electrical wires on a circuit that was overtaxed due to two window air conditioners being powered off of the single circuit. The family was extremely appreciative of our efforts and even apologetic for calling on such a hot day! Nice job by all involved and Capt. Czajkowski for organizing the scene. No injuries were reported.