I love Christmas, and I love South Milwaukee during the Christmas season.
There is always plenty going on around this time of year, and there’s more happening than ever in 2011 to celebrate the season. Among the Christmas-related events coming up …
- Saturday, Nov. 12: Get some Christmas shopping done early from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Holiday Bazaar at the Grobschmidt Senior Center. A variety of homemade items and baked goods are available for purchase. A raffle and lunch are also planned.
- Saturday, Nov. 19: Join Santa and enjoy some hot cocoa and cider at the South Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce tree lighting at Heritage Park, 10th and Milwaukee Avenues. You can also pick up Chamber coupon booklets at the event. Hours are from 3 to 5 p.m. Also planned for Nov. 19 is the annual South Milwaukee Historical Society bake sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the society headquarters at 717 Milwaukee Ave. A variety of home-baked goods, books, ornaments and other gift items are for sale.
- Sunday, Nov. 27: The city’s Old Fashioned Christmas celebration returns starting with a parade at 12:30 p.m.. The route takes it from 12th and Milwaukee Avenue, west down Milwaukee and south down 15th to City Hall, where a variety of special events and activities (including a visit from Santa) are planned. Hour are 1 to 5:30 p.m., when the tree will be lit outside City Hall. To enter the parade or for more information, contact Jim Shelenske at 651-2221 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 3 and 4: Ye Olde Christmas Feaste returns at South Milwaukee High School. Learn more in this flier.
- Saturday, Dec. 3 and 10: The South Milwaukee Downtown Market is holding two indoor Christmas Markets at Caterpillar’s Heritage Building, 1970 10th Ave., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Learn more in this post. The Friends of Mill Pond and Oak Creek Watercourse are also holding their holiday tea from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Dec. 10 at the Grant Park clubhouse.
Mark your calendars, and let me know if I missed anything!