When you’re 5-0, people take notice.
Three South Milwaukee football seniors have been named semifinalists for three Wisconsin Sports Network awards. They are:
- Ian Pribyl: top running back
- Justin Oliden: top quarterback
- Mitchell Dess: top receiver
- Calvin Shilling: top defensive back
Check out the full list here. Finalists chosen after the Level 1 playoffs. Winners are announced the week of the state finals. A panel of WSN staff along with several veteran prep sports journalists throughout the state will review the finalists and select a winner for each award, with an announcement made the week of the state football finals.
South Milwaukee — now rated No. 4 in Division 2 — play at 7 p.m. at Shorewood/Messmer tonight. Then it’s Homecoming week!
Other sports updates from the school district … h/t Ante Udovicic.
ROCKET GIRLS TENNIS
The Rockets beat Racine Horlick 4-3 last Saturday in their only completed match of the Racine Case tournament. Yesterday, the Rockets lost to Pius 6-1 in the final Woodland Conference match of the regular season. Mackenzie Meyers (11) won a hard fought straight set victory for the lone Rocket win.
On Tuesday and Wednesday of next week the Rockets will take on the rest of the Woodland Conference in the conference tournament being held in the Greendale and Greenfield area. The JV Tennis team will compete in the Woodland JV Tournament on Saturday in Greendale and Greenfield…good luck!
ROCKET BOYS VOLLEYBALL
The boys defeated West Allis Central 25-23 & 25-19 in their first match of the varsity tournament hosted by Central last Saturday. The Rockets lost earlier this week to a very tough Greendale team. On Monday the boys travel to Kenosha Tremper for a triangular and on Wednesday they travel to Wauwatosa West HS for a Woodland match.
ROCKET GIRLS SWIM
Wednesday September 24th, 2014 CONFERENCE RELAYS at Greenfield HS…
The team took 6th out of 13 schools
- The 200yd Freestyle Relay team of Hernandez, M. Conner, K. Mildebrandt, N. Swanson took 5th with a time of 2:00.02
- The 300yd Butterfly Relay team of Swanson, A. Holliday, E. Hernandez, E. Uehling took 5th with a time of 3:38.44
- The 500yd Freestyle Relay team of Mildebrandt, T. Halama, N. Swanson, A. Holliday took 4th with a time of 5:25.61
- The 400yd Freestyle Relay team of Halama, V. Hernandez, N. Swanson, A. Holliday took 6th with a time of 4:23.84
- The 300yd Breaststroke Relay team of Hernandez, H. Bocek, M. Conner, Z. Bellis took 6th with a time of 4:11.14
- The 100yd Freestyle Relay team of Mildebrandt, E. Hernandez, M. Zabler, T. Halama took 6th with a time of 59.86
Good luck to the team tomorrow at Kenosha Bradford!
ROCKET CROSS COUNTRY
Josh Janusiak (12) continued his superb running with yet another victory at UW-Parkside Chris Sobczak (10) and Jordan Janusiak (9) took 6th & 7th place respectively and the boys overall took 2nd as a team!
On the girls side Maddie Wood (10) was solid once again and took 3rd place. The girls’ team took 8th out of 28 teams overall.
Good luck to all of the Rocket Harriers as they take on the Janesville CC Meet for the first time in decades. This is a huge meet with over 75 teams running.