Update: Added information on a special choir concert at Sts. Peter and Paul.
Christmas in South Milwaukee is a special time of year …
And that starts with all the special events happening around town.
Here’s a roundup … if I missed any, please let me know and I’ll add them.
- Saturday, Nov. 22: South Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce Tree Lighting. Stop by from 3:30 to 5 p.m. for a visit with Santa, music, hot drinks and more at Heritage Park on 10th and Milwaukee Avenues. Learn more here.
- Sunday, Nov. 30: South Milwaukee Christmas Parade and Old Fashioned Christmas. The traditional South Milwaukee Christmas celebration begins with the Lions’ Christmas Parade starting at 12:30 p.m. at 12th and Milwaukee, continuing west on Milwaukee, then south on 15th Avenue to City Hall. Following the parade, enjoy all the festivities at City Hall, including pictures with Santa, arts and crafts, food and more. The city Christmas tree is lit at 5 p.m., following a performance by the South Milwaukee High School Madrigal Singers. Learn more about the parade at www.smlions.org, or to be in the parade, call Jim at 414-651-2221.
- Saturday, Dec. 6: South Milwaukee Christmas Market. The indoor version of the Downtown Market returns to South Milwaukee High School with more than 50 vendors selling arts, crafts, baked goods, prepared foods and more. Hours (new this year) are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Live holiday music is also scheduled, including a holiday performance by Horns A Plenty at 11 a.m. at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center. Learn more on the market’s Facebook page.
- Saturday, Dec. 13, and Sunday, Dec. 14: Ye Old Christmas Feaste.This tradition of 36 years will be held at the high school. This three-hour event magically transports you to 15th century England for Christmas merriment with a seven-course meal. Pre-dinner music starts 4:30 p.m., and dinner is served at 5. Cost is $30 per person or $170 for a table of six. For more information, click here or call the high school at 766-5100.
- Sunday, Dec. 14: Sts. Peter and Paul Polish National Catholic Church Christmas choir concert. Showtime is 4 p.m. for this special show, as the Milwaukee Circle Choir will be presenting “Love Came Down at Christmas: A Cantata of Hope, Joy, Peace and Love.” This show features traditional carols in both Polish and English. Free Admission. Handicapped accessible by lift chair. Refreshments will be served after the show. The church is 1308 15th Ave.
Also, the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center has a full holiday lineup,with the following shows …
Have a happy holiday season!