Just a quick note that property tax bills are being mailed now and should arrive at South Milwaukee homes by the end of the week.
Tax bill information is also available on the city’s website here.
So, what will your tax bill look like? I’ll speak just for the city.
Learn more about our city budget from my previous post on the topic. From it …
- The city tax levy is budgeted to fall 4.96% to just over $10 million, due primarily to the shift of fire hydrant maintenance fees from the property tax to a fee on property owners’ water bills. You can learn more about that decision here.
- Tax rates are also decreasing, from $8.85 per $1,000 of assessed valuation in 2013 to $8.41 per $1,000 in 2014. This is the city tax rate only.
So, how and when do you pay your tax bill? You can pay in full by January 31, or in installments.
Check out the treasurer’s office web page here to learn more.
You can also contact the city treasurer’s office at 766-8048. And here are their holiday hours …
The Treasurer’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. with the exception of holidays. Beginning February 9, 2015 office hours will change to 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. Our office will observe the following holiday schedule for December and January:
- Wednesday, December 24, 2014 – CLOSED
- Thursday, December 25, 2014 – CLOSED
- Wednesday, December 31, 2014 – LIMITED HOURS (8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. – Open for Tax Collections Only)
- Thursday, January 1, 2015 – CLOSED
Please plan accordingly to make sure your tax payment is received on or before December 31 for income tax purposes.