Its mission is simple: Promote, encourage, and work to enhance the beauty of the City of South Milwaukee.
It’s also critical to our promising future.
Welcome to the new South Milwaukee Beautification Committee, which the city council unanimously endorsed at its meeting Tuesday night. The committee replaces the Streetscaping Committee, providing a broader approach to beautifying our city.
Its duties …
“Explore and help implement a variety of beautification efforts, working with applicable city departments, community organizations, and others to:
Promote and enhance natural, private and public areas in the city, including:
- Central Business District plantings and other streetscaping efforts;
- City welcome signs (in partnership with Garden Club);
- Street medians;
- City parks (Heritage Place, etc.); and
- Other non-city public spaces as appropriate.
- Assist in tree planting efforts, including advising on a community tree management program (per Tree City USA requirements), coordinating an Adopt a Tree program for area residents, leading on the city’s annual Arbor Day celebration, and helping secure private funding for city tree planting efforts;
- Partner with existing groups, organizations, and events (Friends, Lions, Earth Day, etc.) to drive organized clean-up activities in South Milwaukee;
- Develop and implement a landscape (resident and business) award program and other efforts to encourage residents and businesses to beautify their properties;
- Educate and engage residents in other beautification projects as developed; and
- Other programs that align with the mission (i.e., recommend locations for and requirements for community gardens; etc.).
Want to join this nine-member committee, and get your hands dirty when it comes to making our city a more beautiful place? Learn more here. Apply for it, or any of volunteer boards and commissions, now here.
I have met so many people since I’ve been mayor who have a real passion for making South Milwaukee a more beautiful place. I join you in that passion. Here is your chance to help make that a reality.