Updated: 7 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 27.
A few notes as we prepare for another winter storm and some of the worst cold we’ve seen in years …
- Salters went out around midnight, and we switched to plowing around 1:30 a.m.
- As for plowing, please be patient as we do our best to keep up with the snow. We have more than a dozen pieces of equipment that may be used at any one time, clearing our streets, alleys and sidewalks.
- City offices will generally be open. Monday garbage pickup is cancelled; it will be be collected on Friday. Other city services may be impacted. Check out our Facebook page for regular updates.
- The Grobschmidt Senior Center is also closed on Monday.
- South Milwaukee public school students were already scheduled to be off on Monday, with the end of a quarter. Activities and sports are also now cancelled, and staff does not have to report, according to the school district Facebook page. The fitness center is also closed.
- Divine Mercy and Zion Lutheran Schools are also closed. So is Knights of Columbus, according to WISN.
- Here is information on our local ordinances around snow removal. The basic rule: You have 24 hours to shovel from the end of a storm.
- Don’t forget to shovel out those hydrants, even if it’s not in front of your house. It could save your life, or property.
- And check out some cold-weather tips below …