There are lots of reasons to love fall, and Halloween, in South Milwaukee — a month and a half or so we’ve labeled Rocketober.
The idea several years ago was simple: Lean into this special time of year by branding it, jointly promoting the already terrific series of events already scheduled across the city — and maybe add a few new ones.
Here is the result: your 2019 Rocketober schedule!
Note: For schedule updates, be sure to like the Rocketober Facebook page!
Many of your fall favorites are back, starting with Homecoming activities this week, ending with Halloween night time trick-or-treating, making South Milwaukee the only community in the county to keep this tradition. In between are some great South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center shows and other special special events. And check out the information on the Halloween Lights on Edgewood, back bigger and better in 2019.
There is plenty new this year, starting with the Community Glow Walk and Fall Cleanup this week, as well as a new downtown event: South Milwaukee Art Walk: Monsters on Milwaukee Avenue, on Saturday Oct. 19.
You’ll notice something missing too — Zombie House and Downtown Trick or Treating. But good news! We’re replacing those events on the Saturday before Halloween with South Milwaukee Spooktackular: A Citywide Halloween Party.
With this event, kids of all ages can take part in a variety of fall and Halloween activities at participating businesses and organizations throughout the community. Look for more details soon … and if you want to take part, just shoot me a note (email@example.com).
Enjoy Rocketober 2019! Be sure to like the Rocketober Facebook page for schedule updates. And here is what’s coming up this week …
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
- 7 p.m. Mayors’ Community Glow Walk. Join South Milwaukee Mayor Erik Brooks and St. Francis Mayor Ken Tutaj on a walk of the Nojoshing Trail in St. Francis. Meet at the St. Francis Civic Center. Presented by the South Milwaukee/St. Francis Health Department.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19
- 6 p.m. Homecoming Parade. 15th and Maple, north on 15th to Oak Creek Parkway
- 6:45 p.m. Community pep rally and bonfire. High school baseball stadium.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
- 7 p.m. Homecoming football game. Milwaukee Pius XI vs. South Milwaukee.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
- 9 a.m.-noon. Fall Cleanup, presented by the South Milwaukee Beautification Committee. Meet at 11th and Milwaukee Ave. Free lunch to follow, served by the South Milwaukee Lions. Also: Grant Park Cleanup, 9 a.m.-noon; meet at the beach.
- 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fire & Police Safety Days at South Milwaukee McDonald’s. Vehicle displays, Flame House, K-9 team, free kids’ activities, bicycle/scooter giveaway, appearances by Smokey Bear, Sparky the Fire Dog and McGruff the Crime Dog.
- 7:30 p.m. Artrageous. The South Milwaukee PAC season series opens with an interactive art and music experience. Social at 6:30.