Saturday is Small Business Saturday, and what better time to join me in committing to shopping local this holiday season?
Here are some ideas …
- Shop at the South Milwaukee Christmas Market on Saturday, December 7. More than 100 vendors are expected at South Milwaukee High School for this really fun local Christmas institution.
- Buy a limited-edition Crusher Christmas ornament. You will only be able to buy them at the Christmas Market, I’m told. Stay tuned!
- Nothing says “happy holidays” like jewelry, Check out C3 Designs, including their World of Gemstones event Nov. 29-Dec. 1.
- Buy gift certificates from some of our great bars and restaurants, from Moran’s Pub to Azteca to Barbiere’s to Paisano’s to Taco Stop to Island Jam to Spirts Pub & Grill to Tap Room to China Chef – and many more.
- How about giving the gift of burgers and custard at the beach, in advance of Ferch’s returning next summer? Or some AM Ice Cream?
- Local coffee makes a great gift from Avenue Coffee.
- Nothing says Christmas like meat products! Milwaukee Sausage Company, specifically. Very cool new business.
- Give the gift of fitness and health at the South Milwaukee Fitness Center, Sorce Martial Arts, Neutral Ground … the list goes on.
- Games for Christmas? Absolutely! Shop downtown at Pink Bunny Games for trading card games, board games, table top games, and more; they also have Black Friday specials happening this week. Also, check out the Board Game Barrister clearance center.
- Get a beautiful stained glass piece from Studio One Art Glass. (We have one hanging in every first-floor window of our home.)
- We have boutiques! Check out Serendipitous Designs & Gifts and Hollyville for some truly unique holiday gifts.
- Think leather! Gecko Leatherworks has Black Friday and Small Business Saturday specials planned.
- Buy Rocket, South Milwaukee and other apparel from one of our downtown t-shirt shops, Styled Aesthetic or JB’s Tee Shirt Factory.
- Military collectibles? You really need to see the museum-like atmosphere at Military Connection Collectibles.
- Staying with collectibles, check out South Milwaukee-based MEARS Online Auctions, which has one-of-a-kind vintage sports gear, toys, and military items up for bid as we speak. Wise Owl Auctions also operates from downtown South Milwaukee.
- Give the gift of performing arts with tickets to an upcoming show at the South Milwaukee PAC.
- Pick up some holiday flowers or a centerpiece from one of our two awesome Milwaukee Avenue florists: Parkway Floral or Mari’s Flowers, Wine and Gifts.
- Buy a bandanna, jigsaw puzzle, notebook and other HANmade item — designed by South Milwaukeean Colleen McCarrier.
- Enjoy a children’s book from award-winning local author Janet Halfmann. (She and HANmade will be at the Christmas Market.)
- Keep your vehicle running right with the gift of an oil change or three from a local car care center in our fair city.
- Get your holiday meal from a local caterer like Charlie’s Catering.
- Pick up a pie, bread or cookies from Wild Flour Bakery.
- And don’t forget holiday beer, wine and spirits — I’ll put a plug in here for Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter, or a nice Miller Lite or Coors Light — from local liquor stores Chicago Avenue Liquor, Marquette Liquor, G&K Liquor or BJ’s Liquor.
- Give the gift of golf this Christmas, with a free round or three at Grant Park or other county courses.
- Know a disc golf fan? Stop by Acetime Disc Golf.
- Hopefully Off the Beaten Path will be open in time for Christmas, for all your vinyl record needs. Stay tuned.
- How about a VISA gift card from one of our local financial institutions?
- Get a loved one (or you) a new hair style, with a gift certificate from a local salon, like Barberella, CM Salons, and Venne’s Creations.
- Get a family photo done at Studio 919 or Sandy Conway Photography.
- Be the talk of the neighborhood: Buy a Cheata Bike.
- Or get a tattoo!
- And, finally, let’s not forget local chains, many of them owned by local franchisees — small business owners themselves. If you’re going to shop at a chain store this holiday season, please do so at places like South Milwaukee Ace, Planet Fitness, Pick ‘n Save, Aldi, Cousins, Dunkin’ Donuts, Pizza Hut, Toppers, Walmart, Napa, Speedway, Walgreens, Aurora Pharmacy, Dollar General, Dollar Tree and others that all call our city home.
What did I miss? Post your comments below … and shop local!
9 responses to “32 Ways to Shop Local This Holiday Season”
Thanks for the mention! I’ve got some great holiday specials right now, so it’s a great time to purchase a photo session for your family or to give as a gift! Here’s the link to the specials:
Seasons Greetings! 🎄🎁🎅Christmas Mini-Sessions are now available at Sandy Conway Photography! There are two gorgeously festive sets to choose from – Christmas Bedroom in your PJ’s on 12/1 or Yuletide Lights, which is ideal for family sessions, on 12/7 & 12/8. Just $125 for a 20-minute session and 5 digital images!
Link to book PJ Mini-Sessions 12-1-19: sandyconwayphotography.bigcartel.com/product/christmas-pj-mini-sessions
Link to book Christmas Yuletide Mini-Sessions 12-7-19 & 12-8-19: sandyconwayphotography.bigcartel.com/product/christmas-yuletide-mini-sessions
For more information, call or email me today! email@example.com
Cool beans, my husband dreads me going to this!🤣🤣🤣
#32 South Milwaukee Tea Towel https://mjmedia.rocks/map/
Towels are available at Serendipitous Designs & Gifts and at the South Milwaukee Christmas Market on Saturday, December 7th
You need to fix your post you have December 5th its the 7th
You covered a bunch, Erik! But I think the correct date for the Christmas Market is Saturday, Dec. 7. The 5th is Thursday.
The correct business name is G & K Liquor.
I’d never forget Ace! #32.