We should all be proud of this city’s special events calendar. I hold it up against any city our size, as we always step up to celebrate our city and bring our community together in ways that are uniquely South Milwaukee.
Then, COVID hit.
Events have obviously been a challenge amid a pandemic, as this spring and summer saw the cancellation of most large-scale activities across the city, state and country. It was the right call, and remains so, as difficult as those decisions were for the city and other event organizers.
But that doesn’t mean events must stop altogether — and they are not in South Milwaukee in coming weeks and months.
Here is a sneak peek at some of the special events shaping up around town. Mark your calendars now, and look more details on all of these in the days, weeks and months ahead.
This list will continue to grow. Find details on the PAC events here.
- Thursday, Sept. 17: South Milwaukee Downtown Market Car Show. 3-7 p.m. at Market Square, 11th and Milwaukee. From the event Facebook post: “Rev up your week and get ready for the Car Show at the Market on Thursday, Sept 17th from 5-8 PM! There will be classic cars, roasted corn, craft beers, shopping, 50/50 raffle and live music. Market will open at 3 PM, car show to start at 5PM.” More on the live music here.
- Thursday, Sept. 24: Music at the Market — She’s Right, I’m Left.
- Thursday, Oct. 1: Music at the Market — Bluegrass All Stars.
- Friday, Oct. 2: Rock ‘n Roll Science Show. The first of a series of “Restart the Arts” shows at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center.
- Thursday, Oct. 8: Music at the Market — Val Sigal.
- Friday and Saturday, Oct. 23-24: South Milwaukee High School Theatre Co. presents “Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play by Joe Landry,” South Milwaukee PAC.
- Saturday, Oct. 24: South Milwaukee Spooktacular. The downtown trick-or-treating event, presented by DB Tax & Wealth, returns, with some socially distanced family fun. New this year: A pumpkin carving contest and illumination along Milwaukee Avenue and much more.
- Saturday, Oct. 31: Citywide trick-or-treating, 5:30-7:30 p.m. We made this announcement last week, and we’ll be sharing some best practices on how to do it safely in the weeks ahead.
- Thursday, Nov. 5: Piano & My Voice, South Milwaukee PAC.
- Friday and Saturday, Nov. 13-14: South Milwaukee High School Theatre Co. presents “An Evening With Sherlock Holmes,” South Milwaukee PAC.
- Saturday, Nov. 21: Swing Explosion, “We’ve Got a World that Swings,” South Milwaukee PAC.
- Saturday, Dec. 5: Studio K Flamenco presents “The Flamenco Nutcracker,” South Milwaukee PAC.
- Friday and Saturday, Dec. 11-12: South Milwaukee High School Theatre Co. presents “It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play by Joe Landry,” South Milwaukee PAC.
Other holiday events are also shaping up, with the Old Fashioned Christmas Committee working to pull off safe version of that special event. I am also working with the South Milwaukee Lions to see how we can safely hold the Lighted Christmas Parade — ideas are welcome! And we are planning to bring back the Festival of Trees, in partnership with Ace Hardware and Caterpillar. More to come on all of these.
Select fall high school sports are back, too! Get schedules here.
Thank you to all of the volunteers who put work in planning events this year that were ultimately cancelled or postponed — and to those who are working to creatively and safely hold events in the weeks and months ahead. None of this would happen without you.
And we need your work now, more than ever.