Every day should be Small Business Saturday in South Milwaukee!
Here are some ideas, with a reminder to shop safely and responsibly amid the pandemic. Shoppers and business owners, mask up!
- Local coffee makes a great gift from Avenue Coffee.
- Nothing says Christmas like meat products! South Milwaukee Sausage & Meats, specifically. Very cool new business.
- Nothing says “happy holidays” like jewelry, Check out C3 Designs.
- Pick up some holiday flowers or a centerpiece from one of our two awesome Milwaukee Avenue florists: Parkway Floral or Mari’s Flowers, Wine and Gifts.
- Buy gift certificates from some of our great bars and restaurants.
- Give the gift of fitness and health at the South Milwaukee Fitness Center, Sorce Martial Arts, Neutral Ground … the list goes on.
- Games for Christmas? Absolutely! Shop downtown at Pink Bunny Games for trading card games, board games, table top games, and more. Also, check out the Board Game Barrister clearance center.
- Get a beautiful stained glass piece from Studio One Art Glass.
- We have boutiques! Check out Serendipitous Designs & Gifts, Hollyville, and Dupree’s for some truly unique holiday gifts.
- Think leather! Gecko Leatherworks has some terrific handmade items.
- Speaking of handmade items, shop local on Etsy! Buy a bandanna, jigsaw puzzle, notebook and other HANmade item — designed by South Milwaukeean Colleen McCarrier. Or some unique wood items from Dr. Box, a “family-owned business making wooden deluxe beverage transportation and extraction systems.” Do you live in South Milwaukee and sell handmade items on Etsy? Comment below with your link and I’ll see about including you on a future post.
- Buy Rocket, South Milwaukee and other apparel from one of our downtown t-shirt shops, Styled Aesthetic or JB’s Tee Shirt Factory.
- Military collectibles? You really need to see the museum-like atmosphere at Military Connection Collectibles.
- Staying with collectibles, check out South Milwaukee-based MEARS Online Auctions, which has one-of-a-kind vintage sports gear, toys, and military items up for bid as we speak. Wise Owl Auctions also operates from downtown South Milwaukee.
- Give the gift of performing arts with tickets to an upcoming show at the South Milwaukee PAC.
- Enjoy a children’s book from award-winning local author Janet Halfmann.
- Keep your vehicle running right with the gift of an oil change or three from a local car care center in our fair city.
- Get your holiday meal from a local caterer like Charlie’s Catering or Skyline Catering, moving to South Milwaukee in 2021 as part of the Bucyrus Club.
- Pick up a pie, bread or cookies from Wild Flour Bakery.
- And don’t forget holiday beer, wine and spirits from local liquor stores Chicago Avenue Liquor, Marquette Liquor, G&H Liquor or BJ’s Liquor.
- Give the gift of golf this Christmas, with a free round or three at Grant Park or other county courses.
- Know a disc golf fan? Stop by Acetime Disc Golf.
- Get a loved one (or you) a new hair style, with a gift certificate from a local salon. We’ve added several in the past year.
- Or get a tattoo, from Black Sheep Tattoo!
- And, finally, let’s not forget local chains, many of them owned by local franchisees — small business owners themselves — places like South Milwaukee Ace, Cousins, and others that all call our city home.
What did I miss? I’ve turned comments back on for this post, so please add your ideas. And shop local!
For more on local shopping opportunities throughout the year, follow my Shop Local South Milwaukee Facebook page.