From the South Milwaukee School District …
ROCKET CROSS COUNTRY
Congratulations to the Rocket Boys’ Cross Country team and in particular Josh Janusiak. The Rockets took 15th in the WIAA State Cross Country Championships last Saturday and Josh took 9th place as an individual overall! Jordan Janusiak took 54th place overall and had the 2nd best time out of all of the freshmen in the race!
Congratulations to Maddie Wood (10) for taking 40th place in the WIAA State Girls’ Cross Country Championship! Out of all freshmen and sophomores Maddie had the 14th best time in the race!
Here are the results for each SM runner with 1 Mile Split & Place, 2 Mile Split & Place & Finish Time
- 9th – Joshua Janusiak (12) 15th 4:58 11th 5:20 10:17 5:53 16:08.06
- 54th – Jordan Janusiak (9) 101st 5:19 72nd 5:33 10:52 6:05 16:54.10
- 114th – Chris Sobczak (10) 156th 5:28 137th 5:45 11:12 6:18 17:28.34
- 125th – Justin Weber (11) 107th 5:20 117th 5:47 11:07 6:29 17:33.82
- 184th – Sage Leahy (9) 179th 5:35 179th 6:04 11:39 6:54 18:30.40
- 185th – Wyatt Schlager (9) 187th 5:38 185th 6:10 11:47 6:49 18:34.53
- 186th – Damon Dettman (12) 180th 5:35 186th 6:14 11:49 6:53 18:39.52
- 40th – Maddie Wood (10) 15th 5:51 25th 6:25 12:16 7:21 19:34.76
- 152nd – Rebecca Heller (11) 143rd 6:24 152nd 6:56 13:19 7:43 20:59.80
Great job Rockets!!
ROCKET GIRLS’ SWIM & DIVE
Another meet…another couple of school records broken! Congratulations to Allison Osell and Alexis Holliday on breaking their own school records again!
The Girls Swim & Dive team competed in the Woodland Conference Meet last weekend. The team took 6th out of 12 teams.
- Allison Osell (10) took 4th Place in diving with a score of 362.70 (breaking her previous school record)
- Alexis Holliday (10) took 4th in the 200yd Freestyle with a time of 2:01.26 also took 4th in the 500yd Freestyle with a time of 5:23.87 (breaking her previous school record by 4 seconds).
- Zoe Bellis (10) took 8th in the 50yd Freestyle with a time of 27.07, also took 7th in the 100yd Breaststroke with a time of 1:18.75
- Eryka Uehling (10) took 8th in the 100yd Fly with a time of 1:11.57
- 200yd Freestyle Relay team of Uehling, Taylor Halama (12), Holliday, Bellis took 6th with a time of 1:50.99
- Haille Bocek (11) took 11th in the 100yd Backstroke with a time of 1:10.69
Good luck to Allison tonight at the WIAA Sectional Diving Competition and to all of the Varsity Swimmers at the WIAA Sectional Swim Meet on Saturday.
Mitchell Dess Al Toon Award Finalist!
The Al Toon Award is given annually to the state’s top senior wide receiver or tight end as part of the WSN Senior Football Awards. The award is named after former University of Wisconsin athlete Al Toon, who went on to play in the NFL for several very successful seasons before multiple concussions ended his career early. Toon is an active member of the community in the Madison area both in the business world and in various charitable endeavors.
The pre-season watch list was trimmed down to 15 semi-finalists, and five finalists for the award have now been selected. Winners are announced the week of the state finals.
Al Toon Award Finalists:
Mitchell Dess, South Milwaukee – Dess was a contributor for the Rockets last season but really came into his own as a senior. The 5-11, 170-pound wideout hauled in 65 passes for 1092 yards and 14 touchdowns in 10 games for head coach Derek Hoff. “He gets the little technique things that most kind can’t even comprehend,” said Hoff. “Stemming and alignment on his routes, setting up defenders after the catch, catching the ball at its peak and not bringing it to your body right away, rather turning away before you do so.” Dess has the most productive yardage day in the state this year, hauling in 10 catches for 317 yards and 4 touchdowns in a 56-41 win over Pewaukee in Week 8.
Mitchell is one of only 5 Finalists STATE-WIDE!
Boo Gottwald (Class of 2010)
Gottwald Named Academic All-District by CoSIDA
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater senior John Gottwald has been selected to the 2014 Capital One Academic All-District 6 NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer first team, the College Sports Information Directors of America announced Thursday, Oct. 30.
Defrim Ramushevski (Class of 2011)
Dewey is finishing up his senior season on the UWGB Men’s Soccer team. I have attached the senior photo for you to see Dewey now!
Dani Schwanke (Class of 2014), Katie Bartlett (Class of 2013) & Alicia Kontowski (Class of 2008)
Dani & Katie are both on this year’s Alverno women’s basketball team! Alicia is a Graduate Assistant Coach on both the Women’s Basketball Team and the Women’s Golf Team at Alverno College. Check out the link below for the team photo and roster.
Zach Simuncak (Class of 2014)
See the link below for Zach’s info as a member of the North Central football team!
Lauren Kleppin (Class of 2007)
Lauren just competed in the frigid NYC Marathon last Sunday and had the 5th fastest time for any American woman and took 15th overall in the Elite running field. Great job Lauren!!