Softball, track and more … our Rockets are really taking off.
From the South Milwaukee School District …
The Rockets take on Oak Creek today at 4:30pm at Oak Creek East Middle School in the WIAA Regional Final. The Rockets advanced to the game by virtue of their 6-0 WIAA Regional Semifinal win on Wednesday v. Racine Park. A special note is included down below about Senior Abby Mahsem who was not only named the Journal Sentinel Softball Player of the Week, she was also selected as a Senior All-Star and will be playing in the Dells on June 16th in the Wisconsin Fastpitch Softball Coaches Association Senior All-Star Game! Congratulations Abby and GO ROCKETS!
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Abby Mahsem, South Milwaukee. The Rockets senior pitcher/shortstop played a large role in the team’s strong finish to the regular season.
She tossed a complete game with five strikeouts and scored two runs as South Milwaukee (15-7) beat Greenfield, 3-1, May 18 to hand the Hawks their first loss of the season. The next day she pitched two innings of relief and went 2 for 3 with three runs in an 8-6 victory over Cudahy. On Wednesday she struck out 10 in a 4-3 victory over Greendale.
Entering the Rockets’ game with Oak Creek on Friday, Mahsem led South Milwaukee with a .533 batting average and 34 RBI and shared the team lead with six home runs.
BOYS’ & GIRLS’ TRACK
At Tuesday’s WIAA Regionals at Spaltholz Field, the Rockets qualified 15 girls and 19 boys for the WIAA Sectionals which are being held today. The top 3 placewinners in each event and the top 8 performances out of all 8 sectionals in the state will qualify for WIAA State next weekend.
Wisconsin Lutheran HS
4:00pm – Field Events
4:45pm – Running Events
Admission – $5 adults & $3 for seniors and kids age 1-12
GIRLS’ SECTIONAL QUALIFIERS
- Chenoa Stuhr (12) – (200m)
- Bristine Fowler (12) – (800m)
- Maddie Wood (10) – (3200m)
- Kelsey Tehan (9) – (300m hurdles)
- Chenoa Stuhr (12)/Chidimma Ozodi (12)/Natalie Swanson (12)/Maddie Kendall (10) – (4x100m)
- Clarice Michalski (10)/Maddie Kendall (10)/Haley Slusar (10)/Abby Kettinger (11) – (4x200m)
- Sam Meszaros (12)/Capri Fowler (12)/Becca Heller (11)/Clarice Michalski (10) – (4x400m)
- Sam Meszaros (12)/Becca Heller (11)/Maddie Wood (10)/Capri Fowler (12) – (4x800m)
- Marissa Stanley (12) – (Pole Vault)
- Natalie Swanson (12) – (Pole Vault)
- Clarice Michalski (10) – (Triple Jump)
- Olivia Osunkwo (11) – (Shot Put)
- Olivia Osunkwo (11) – (Discus)
BOYS’ SECTIONAL QUALIFIERS
- Justin Weber (11) – (1600m)
- Jordan Janusiak (9) – (1600m)
- Josh Janusiak (12) – (3200m)
- Jacob Hochschild (10) – (300m Hurdles)
- Mua Vang (9)/Clayton Westrum (10)/Jalen Haack (12)/Evan Koronkowski (12) – (4x100m)
- Mua Vang (9)/Calvin Shilling (12)/McCoy Swanson (12)/Colin Wilson (12) – (4x200m)
- Colin Wilson (12)/Victor DeLao (10)/McCoy Swanson (12)/Calvin Shilling (12) – (4x400m)
- Damon Dettman (12)/Chris Sobczak (10)/Wyatt Schlager (9)/Andrew Wimmer (12) – (4x800m)
- Ian Pribyl (12) – (High Jump)
- Nick Honerlaw (10) – (Shot Put)
- Ian Pribyl (12) – (Shot Put)
- Joey Nelson (11) – (Discus)
Joel Rodriguez (11) qualified for WIAA Sectional play this week and fell in straight sets to the #1 singles player from Marquette HS but finished with a solid season by getting to Sectionals.
On Tuesday at WIAA Regionals at Oakwood, Matthew Boyle (11) & Ryan Graber (11) qualified for WIAA Sectional play next Tuesday at Ives Grove. Good luck gentlemen!
The Rockets won last night 10-3 over Brown Deer as Megan Hilbelink (12) scored 4 goals, Hannah Fryer (12) scored 3 goals, Emily Grunert (10) scored 2 goals and Sofia Ladewig scored 1 goal. IN the tough Woodland Conference, the Rockets improved their conference record to 5-6. The JV plays today at 4:30pm at home against Franklin. Then the Rockets take on Oak Creek on Tuesday at Oak Creek High School (5:00pm JV & 7:00pm Varsity).
The Rockets earned the #6 seed in the WIAA Regionals that begin on Thursday, June 4th. They will travel to Greendale to take on the Panthers at 6:30pm on Thursday night.
The Rockets won last night at Whitnall 4-0. Junior Matt McCarty led the way by pitching a complete game shutout and throwing 10 strikeouts. The Rockets host Whitnall tonight at 5:00pm and SWCHA tomorrow at 3:30pm (the freshman are at home at 9:30am and the JV play at home at 12:30pm as well).
GOOD LUCK ROCKETS!