Here’s what is on tap, South Milwaukee … and I apologize ahead of time if I missed anything.
Friday, April 29
- South Milwaukee’s Barbara Vey kicks off her Reader Appreciation Weekend with an author Q&A and more at the Clarion Hotel Airport in Milwaukee. Festivities continue through Sunday. More details here.
Saturday, April 30
- Earth Day Cleanup. 9 a.m. to noon across the city, followed by lunch at the Grobschmidt Senior Center. More details on the city-led efforts here. A number of other groups are also holding cleanups, in conjunction with the city’s work. If you’d like to join the Friends of Grant Park, please meet at the parking lot to Picnic Area 5 at 9 a.m. Bring your gloves, and they’ll provide shovels, brooms and bags, as they tidy up our park after the winter’s deposits of soil and leaves. The Friends of Oak Creek and the Mill Pond are meeting at Grant Park Beach. Also, I’ve been told First Congregational UCC members and friends are meeting the North Chicago/Oak Creek Parkway site at 8:45, and Eaton is planning a big contingent for the Rawson Avenue site. Also, the South Milwaukee Downtown Market team is leading a cleanup of the market site starting at 9 a.m. I love to see the community coming together! (There is still time to get your group together, too; just show up, and clean up.)
- Rawson Carnival. All are invited to Rawson Elementary for carnival games (with prizes), crafts, a bouncy house, face painting, a photo booth, bingo, a raffle and more. Concessions will be available. Free admission, and all proceeds benefit the cadet program. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the school, 1410 Rawson Ave. More here.
- Heritage Days Parade Mini-Golf Pub Crawl. This is the second year of this unique and really cool fundraiser for our city’s biggest parade. Play begins at 11:30 a.m. and continues to 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be provided during the awards banquet held at Muskie’s Gourmet House, 800 Milwaukee Ave. Details on Facebook.
Sunday, May 1
- Jen’s Sweet Treats grand opening. Our newest downtown business officially opens at 9 a.m. with a selection of cupcakes, muffins, cookies, turnovers, brownies and donuts. More details here.
- SMCBA downtown cleanup. Earth Day activities continue, this time with the South Milwaukee Community & Business Association focusing on our city center. The cleanup starts at 1. More details here and here.