We’ll publish the full Rocketober schedule of events later this week.
In the meantime, I wanted to call your attention to a couple events fast approaching, as we look to start our annual (and growing) celebration of fall in South Milwaukee a bit earlier this year …
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
- 5-9 p.m. Grant Park Sunset Beach Walk. The Friends of the Mill Pond and Ferch’s Beachside Grille present live entertainment, beer, wine, food, frozen custard, bonfire, s’mores, stargazing, and Chinese lanterns, all at beautiful Grant Park Beach. http://www.ferchs.com and smfomp.org
- 7 p.m. Outdoor movie: “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” Guardian Credit Union hosts its final Movie on the Grass for 2016 at the site of the South Milwaukee Downtown Market. Free admission and popcorn. Bring your lawn chairs! http://www.guardiancu.org
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22
- 6 p.m. South Milwaukee Homecoming Parade. Route: Maple Avenue, east to 15th Avenue, north to the school. www.southmilwaukeefootball.org
- 6:45 p.m. Community pep rally and Homecoming bonfire. Cheer on the team at the high school baseball stadium.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25
- 7 p.m. Cudahy vs. South Milwaukee Homecoming football game.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
- 7:30 p.m. SMPAC presents SIMPLY SWING! This event features Milwaukee’s Sinatra-style crooner Chris Mariani and his new spin on classics like Fly Me to the Moon combined with The Radio Rosies, a USO-style vocal trio, and the bold sound of Swing Explosion, an 18-piece big band. Lobby social at 6:30. southmilwaukeepac.org