From the South Milwaukee Police Department …
There have been numerous reports of thefts and burglaries throughout the city within the past few weeks. Thieves have been targeting unlocked garages and vehicles, and recently an unlocked residence. These incidents have been occurring west of 15th Avenue to Pennsylvania/Nicholson from College Avenue to Forest Hill Avenue, but primarily concentrated in the NW section of the city. The SMPD strongly urges residents to lock up their property to protect against theft.
The most important thing you can do is call the police to report a crime or any suspicious activity. You have to be the eyes of your neighborhood. And remember you can always remain anonymous.
Some Valuable Tips:
- Make your home look occupied, and make it difficult to break in.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
- Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- If going on vacation call the SMPD for regularly scheduled vacation checks while you are away.
- Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
- Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
- Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
- Push button locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
- Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
- Other windows may need better locks. Check with a locksmith or hardware store for alternatives.
For additional crime prevention tips or to arrange for a crime prevention specialist to conduct a security survey of your home, contact the South Milwaukee Police Department at 768-8060.