Here is the update we shared online today, and are hand-delivering to Milwaukee Avenue business and property owners.
Long story short: This long-overdue upgrade to our Main Street is about to begin … and we’re going to do our best to minimize disruptions.
From the letter …
The City of South Milwaukee is moving ahead with a streetscaping project to enhance the look and feel of Milwaukee Avenue. The work will transform our Main Street, with new sidewalks, street lighting, planters, bike racks, trees, traffic signals, benches, and other decorative features. There will also be a limited amount of street repair, and the addition of bicycle lanes to create a spur of the Oak Leaf Trail through downtown.
While this is a significant and positive investment in our city center, the work will bring disruptions to businesses, residents and others who frequent our downtown area. We are committed to reducing those disruptions as much as we can. Open lines of communication will be key.
Check out the schedule in the letter. How will we communicate this?
- On July 29, we will launch a Milwaukee Avenue Streetscaping page on our website with regularly updated information on construction progress, timelines, and other tools likes parking maps.
- We will also be sharing project updates on the city Facebook page, and starting a Facebook group to share information.
- We will also be sharing updates on the SM Works app. If you have not downloaded it yet, please do from the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- If you would like to receive email updates, please contact Assistant City Administrator Patrick Brever at email@example.com.
- You can also contact Patrick (414-768-8051) or City Engineer Kyle Vandercar (contact information below) with any questions about the improvements.
Thank you ahead of time for your patience, as we make this significant investment in our city center, one that will help us continue our very real downtown momentum. There is much more to come.