For my full update on city services and buildings, click here. From it …
I want to update the community on measures we are taking to address COVID-19 – and ask for your support in adapting to these changes, as we do our best to keep you and our people safe.
- The Grobschmidt Senior Center is closed until further notice.
- The South Milwaukee Public Library remains open, but they have cancelled programming and are taking other steps to keep patrons and staff safe. Learn more on their Facebook page. The library is also exploring ways to make their collection available to the public outside of entering the building.
- Other city buildings are open, but we are encouraging residents to avoid them if they are showing signs of illness, or if trips are not necessary.
- Consider doing your city business via phone, instead of a visit. Here is the directory.
- You can also do a lot of city business via our website.
City Hall remains open, but we are encouraging people to use the drop box, located to the north of the front doors, for payments. You can also mail your payments.
- You can pay your property taxes online here.
- To pay your water bill, drop it in the box. Or set up online bill payments through your personal financial institution. You can also pay water bills at Tri-City National Bank, using their drive-up service.
- Here is a list of forms and permits on our website.
- We are strongly encouraging our residents to vote absentee by mail. To request a ballot, visit MyVote.
The South Milwaukee Police Department lobby is also open, but in order to limit person-to-person contact, please consider using the drop box in the police lobby for payments and fines. You can also make payments online. For more information, go to the department website. Additionally, officers are avoiding unnecessary contact with citizens who may be ill; and requiring officers to take protective measures (wearing gloves and masks) when they do make contact.
The South Milwaukee Fire Department is also open, but, to limit contact, please do not come to the fire station with medical emergencies, as personnel may not be wearing appropriate protective equipment. And if you have been exposed to COVID-19, please contact your health care provider or 911, in case of emergency. The department is also suspending non-essential activities like station tours, staff visits at events, and ride-alongs. We are limiting the number of personnel exposed to people showing symptoms, and we are wearing masks when working with symptomatic patients (and placing masks on patients as well).
- South Milwaukee Common Council and committee meetings scheduled for Tuesday will be held as scheduled.Garbage and recycling pickup is continuing as scheduled.
- The Self-Deposit Station remains open with reduced winter hours.
- Our Water Utility has suspended in-home installation and checking of meters.
- We expect to make a determination about Municipal Court, set for Tuesday, on Monday.
We appreciate your patience as we address this pandemic, and pledge to keep you informed with any further impacts to the delivery of city services.